National Nutrition Week 2016
National Nutrition Week 2016 would be celebrated from Thursday (1st of September) to the Wednesday (7th of September).
National Nutrition Week
National Nutrition Week is celebrated each year from 1st September to the 7th September to aware the people about important tips of their health and well-being. Through the national nutrition week campaign people from all over the world can be educated to maintain their look and feel better.
People can be aware of their food groups and balanced diet from which they can get good nutritious things. A healthy should include the whole grains, fruits, vegetables, fat-free milk or milk products, meats, fish, nuts, seeds and etc. The objective of the National Nutrition Week is to enhance the nutritional practice awareness among people of the community through the adoptable training, timely education, seminars, different competitions, road shows and many other campaigns and to make a healthy Nation.
The one week campaign involves one day training, preparing the nutritious food with the healthy stuff, an exhibition by the students of Home Science, comment on wheat and soyabeen to let them known about nutritious value, various competitions, nutrition lecture to Mothers, road shows and seminars. The National Nutrition Week campaign has a Nutrition Week Kit which is filled with the resources to aid the family to prepare healthy food. The campaign includes the World Food Day and also added the Nude Food Day since 2010.
According to the reports it is noted that people has started the utilization of sugary drinks which is the reason to increase the weight gain and fatness in adolescents. The Department of Food Science and Nutrition Management has established a one day occasion for people to state the Nutrition awareness at 8th of September in the year 2010. The campaign includes poster competition, a cooking contest for Healthy heart food, counseling for diet, measuring the BMI, lecture on diseases and prevention of the Heart and many more.
History of National Nutrition Week
The campaign was first started by the central government in the year 1982 in order to encourage the good health and healthy living through the nutrition education as the malnutrition is the main obstruction to the National Development. To encourage the people for the same, the Food and Nutrition Board including 43 units (departments of women and child development, health and NGOs) is working all over the country to maneuver the activities.
Lactating mothers are greatly encouraged to feed their newborn baby the first milk known as the colostrums and mother milk for 6 months to provide the newborns a great level of immunity and healthy living. The Indian Dietetic Association from Bangalore has decided to conduct an awareness program for Nutrition and Diet at Bhagwan Mahaveer Jain Hospital, Millers Road, Bangalore where the diet for Heart Disease, Diabetes, Children and Women will also be covered.
Activities on National Nutrition Week
- Through the whole week celebration of the National Nutrition Week people are promoted by various nutritional education and training programs.
- Mass nutrition awareness campaigns are run by the governmental and nongovernmental health organizations.
- People are motivated through the distribution of nutrition related educational and training materials.
- People are given proper training for the preservation of nutritious materials like fruits, vegetables and other foods at home.
- Proper training is given to the people about food analysis and standardization.
- Various other National Nutrition Policies are run by the government in order to achieve the goal of National Nutrition Week celebration.
Objectives of the National Nutrition Week Celebration
- To review the frequency of problems to various diet and nutrition in the communities.
- To evaluate the appropriate techniques to prevent and control the nutritional problems through deep research.
- To monitor the condition of the country for the diet and nutrition.
- To perform the operational research in order to plan and implement the national nutrition programs.
- To aware people through the orientation training about health and nutrition.
National Nutrition Week Themes
- The theme of 2011 was “Feeding smart from the start”.
- The theme of 2012 was “Nutrition Awareness – Key to Healthy Nation”.
- The theme of 2013 was “Project Dinnertime – Cook. Eat. Enjoy”.
- The theme of 2014 was “Poshak Aahar Desh ka Aadhar”.
- The theme of 2015 was “Better Nutrition: Key to Development”.