Greenhouse gases are known for absorbing the infrared radiation from Sunlight and heating up the environment to unbearable limit for all the living beings. The majorly known gases causing greenhouse effect in the environment are Carbon Dioxide and Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs). Both these gases are already there in the environment and the human being are responsible for increasing their impact. It is due to various activities performed by the human beings extra greenhouse gases are also produced. Apart from Carbon Dioxide, the greenhouse gases which get release in the environment due to human activities include nitrous oxide, methane, Ozone CFCs, etc.
For the survival of all the living beings it is urgent to reduce the emissions of Greenhouse Gases. Actually the greenhouse gases trap the heat and help in making the planet earth warmer. Ever since industrial revolution has taken place, the impact of greenhouse gases has increased manifold. Around the globe the people are suffering from scorching heat due to greenhouse gases. It is therefore urgent to reduce the greenhouse gases emissions to prevent global warming.
Ways to Reduce Greenhouse Gases
The worst impact of greenhouses gases has become visible in the form of growing number of premature deaths around the globe due to unbearable heat coupled with heavy pollution levels in the environment. Due to their combined effect climate change has also occurred all throughout the world so we need to strictly follow the following ways to reduce the greenhouse gases in the environment:
- We must take measures to reduce carbon footprints if we seriously want to reduce the impact of greenhouse gases. The mantra to lessen the impact of greenhouse gases is, “Reduce, Recycle and Reuse”. By simply recycling most of our household waste we can reduce carbon dioxide considerably.
- We should maximum use energy efficient products, especially for lighting purposes.
- Driving less is important to reduce the emissions of greenhouse gases. Maximum carbon dioxide is produced due to combustion of fuels and so we must limit our driving aspirations. As an alternative way should use public transport or rather depend on biking.
- Plantation is the biggest way to save the earth from the impact of greenhouse gases. It is since the trees absorb carbon dioxide and release life giving oxygen, we must plant trees on a mass level.
- Most of the industries contribute in releasing heavy amount of greenhouse gases in the environment, though there are norms to control and release only treated gases in the environment. To reduce industrial release of greenhouse gases it is urgent for every factory to get studded with pollution control mechanism.
How to Reduce Greenhouse Gases in Your Home
The environments at our homes where we spend maximum time of our daily routine are silently turning into silent killers due to the increasing amount of greenhouse gases. And our own activities are responsible for this situation. We need to strictly take care of the following to reduce greenhouse gases in our homes:
- We need to use energy efficient electrical products with star ratings at our homes. These ratings or energy star labels certify that the product uses less energy hence it contributes in reducing carbon footprint on earth.
- We must switch off the air-conditioners when they are not required. Air-conditioners and Fridge both discharge carbon monoxide gas—the most harmful greenhouse gas responsible for sudden death.
- Replacing the light bulbs with CFLs and LEDs are important to reduce greenhouse gases in our homes. CFLs and LEDs use less electricity and give much brighter light and that too without generating much of heat and greenhouse gases in the environment.
- Switching from coal to natural gas for cooking is another way to reduce the production of greenhouse gases in our homes.
- Using solar panels for our energy requirements is an effective way to reduce greenhouse gases in our homes. Solar energy is an excellent means of the required heating and lighting requirements at our homes and it doesn’t produce or release greenhouse gases at all.
How to Reduce Greenhouse Gases in Agriculture
The ecosystem of Soil combined with Livestock requirements together creates complex environments responsible for greenhouse gases emissions from agriculture. To reduce the emission of greenhouse gases form agriculture it is important to limit the inputs of nitrogen in the agriculture. Nitrogen is excessively used in the soil to ensure good farm yields as it contributes in the growth of the crops. However, following are the ways to reduce greenhouse gases in agriculture:
- Farmers are required to reduce the levels of fertilizers in the fields as most of the fertilizers contain Nitrogen in one form or other. Moreover, the farmers should also limit the use of applied products in agriculture.
- The farmers should use maximum amount of organic manure in their farms. Organic fertilizers are made from vegetable matter, animal matter and dried leaves of the plants which limit the level of greenhouse gases production. If farming is done this way it will help reduce the production of greenhouse gases.
- Adding bacteria to the farm soil is an excellent way to reduce production of greenhouse gases from farm soil.
- Food for the livestock emits methane gas—an important constituent of greenhouse gases. The best way to control the emission of greenhouse gases while giving food to the livestock is to add nitrate in their food, but in limited amount. Nitrate instantly helps in reducing methane emissions.
- Another way to reduce greenhouse gases emissions form livestock foods is to add considerable amount of lipid, or fat in their food.
How to Reduce Greenhouse Gases from Cars
Cars account for heavy emissions of greenhouse gases. Playing as monsters for the environment, emissions from cars are negatively impacting our environment. Excessive use of fuels to run our car is one of the major reasons responsible for global warming. We need to reduce greenhouse gases emissions from cars in the following ways:
- Using fuel efficient cars only is one of the excellent ways to reduce greenhouse gases from cars.
- Electric cars are excellent to reduce greenhouse gases emissions and so we need to maximize the use of electric cars, provided the electricity is produced through renewable sources. The government is required to popularize these cars among the public by providing subsidies on their purchase.
- Use of cleaner fuels in the cars is another way to reduce the impact of greenhouse gases.
- Using cellulosic biofuels can also reduce greenhouse gases emissions from cars considerably.
- Another way to reduce greenhouse gases emissions from cars is to keep the cars properly maintained. Overhauling the car’s engine time to time and maintaining proper pressure in the tyres reduces fuel consumption hence emission of greenhouse gases also gets reduced.
How to Reduce Greenhouse Gases at School
The schools can contribute immensely in reducing the production of greenhouse gases. Most of the daily activities of the students and the staff members at school are responsible for heavy production of greenhouse gases. Here are the ways to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases at school:
- To reduce greenhouse gases at School — the School management should lay emphasis on proper solid waste management. This can be done either by waste prevention or by recycling the waste at schools.
- The schools should use fuel efficient vehicles for transportation of the students.
- The schools can play an important role in raising awareness among the kids on greenhouse emissions, besides educating them on how to control them. By following a standard practice at schools like minimising the use of the materials responsible for increasing the greenhouse gases and promoting litter less lunches, or eliminating the use of bottled water, etc.
- The schools can considerably reduce greenhouse gases at their premises by organizing waste reduction weeks from time to time.
- Saving energy by using maximum CFLs and LEDs is another way to reduce greenhouse gases at school.
How to Reduce Greenhouse Gases from Power Stations
Power stations which run on coal, or atomic energy produces maximum amount of greenhouse gases. While the power stations running on coal emits greenhouses gases such as carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide gases, the nuclear energy operated power plant produces many harmful greenhouses gases. To control greenhouse gases from power stations we must lay emphasis on the following:
- To reduce greenhouse gases from power stations the best way is to operate power plants at their best efficiency so that per unit electricity production can be achieved using less fuel.
- Using hydro power plants for electricity production is another way to reduce greenhouse gases from power stations.
- Encourage the people to conserve energy.
- Use of various technologies at power stations to absorb the carbon dioxide gas before it may reach to the environment.
- Using wind and solar powered power stations can also reduce greenhouse gases considerably.
How to Decrease Greenhouse Gases in Industry
Industries contribute immensely in polluting the environment by producing a large quantity of greenhouse gases. While producing different goods and materials the industries releases most harmful greenhouse gases. We can decrease the emission of greenhouse gases in industry the following way:
- To reduce greenhouse gases from power stations the best way is to operate power plants at their best efficiency so that per unit electricity production can be achieved using fewer fuels.
- By time to time assessing the carbon footprint of any particular industry and taking measures to control them on regular basis is the best way to decrease greenhouse gases.
- By controlling the direct emissions of greenhouse gases in the facility itself helps a lot in decreasing the greenhouse gases in any industry.
- Putting sanctions on heavy release of greenhouse gases by any industry can surely decrease the emission of greenhouse gases— the sanctions encourage the industry to apply emission control measures within their premises.
- By investing in green energy for their operations the industries can decrease greenhouse gases emissions.
Other Ways to Reduce Greenhouse Gases
Among the other ways to reduce greenhouse gases are the following steps which everyone should follow:
- Use less energy and air conditioning.
- Everyone should at least plant one tree in a year.
- Spread awareness about energy conservation and the harmful effects of greenhouse gases in the society to encourage maximum people towards bringing reduction in production of greenhouse gases.
- Use carpool, biking or public transport can also reduce total amount of greenhouse gases in the environment.
- The industries must abide by all the rules and regulations made by the government to reduce the level of polluting greenhouse gases in the environment.
We must understand that greenhouse gases are already creating significant environmental issues for all. It’s high time we should take measures to reduce greenhouse gases in the environment and for this purposes all the stakeholder including the industry and the common people will have to make combined efforts. By putting all the efforts jointly we can not only reduce greenhouse gases in the environment, but we can also save the mother earth from global warming.