A school library is a structure within the school that houses a collection of books, audio-visual material and other content that serves common use to meet the educational, informative and recreational needs of the users. The chief objective of libraries is to meet the academic needs of the particular educational institution which it serves. Besides serving students in their studies and teachers in their research school, libraries aim at creating interest in reading amongst the students who get the best of resources and environment here.
Long and Short Essay on My School Library
Essay 1 (250 words)
School library is the library in the school where teachers, students and other members of the school community have equal access to various resources such as books and reading materials, information and information technology. The school library provides us with several learning opportunities, uses of computers and reference materials. It provides us flexible learning space to do independent work.
My Visit to the School Library
I remember one of my interesting visits to the school library during the free period. The librarian, Miss Jennifer greeted me with a very pleasant smile on her face as always. My favorite section is the cabinet with novels and plays. I love reading short stories, novels, and dramas. So, I just inquired the librarian to suggest an interesting book to read. She gave me ‘Pygmalion, a play by George Bernard Shaw.
There was no one in the library at that time. I sat on the chair at the end of the table in the row. Once I started reading I just lost myself into it. I just went on reading and skipped a few more classes as I just did not want to stop reading this book. I was twelve years old and I fell in love with reading. I became absolutely lured by the writing style and story. It grabbed hold of my heart and kept me engrossed till the last word. It was my most indelible reading experience.
Once I finished reading the whole play I smiled to myself and was grateful for such a wonderful experience. I was so happy that I thanked the librarian several times for recommending such a great book to me. I just had a gigantic smile on my face when I left and was super excited to share my reading experience with my friends and classmates. My experience inspired them to read too.
Essay 2 (400 words)
Library houses a collection of resources and services, useful material, video and audio content that serves common use in all the subjects be it science, biology, mathematics, psychology or computer science. It provides users with the resources to learn and gain knowledge at all levels. Education, on the other hand, develops positive values by providing knowledge, ability, and information leading to individual development.
Library and Education are Interrelated
Over the decade’s libraries have played a vital role in literacy and learning outcomes. It is a proven fact that effective school library services have a positive impact on the social, cultural and educational growth and development of the students. Literacy, education, and the library go hand in hand.
There has been a positive impact on the libraries on the education system. This is because they are a hub of information of all types essential for the students. Further, libraries provide tutoring programs and educational classes. A library is an integral part of schools, colleges, and other educational organizations. School libraries enhance student’s academic performance and results. Students are encouraged to learn and read. They develop urge, interest and a positive attitude towards learning. It shows growth in students’ overall performance, improved results, and achievements.
Education and library are interrelated and fundamentally co-exist with each other. Education is the process of gaining knowledge, values, skills, habits, and beliefs. It is the social process in which children are subjected to the influence of the school environment to attain social competence personnel development. Education is the outcome of the knowledge and experience acquired. The library, on the other hand, is the source and storehouse of knowledge, information, and resources vital for the leap in advancement of knowledge. Libraries enhance the cause of education and research. The library plays an important role in meeting the growing needs of people in literacy.
Besides aiding in the studies of students and assisting teachers in research and teaching, school library helps in developing reading habit in the students and provide the knowledge and resources to enrich the learning experience. The library is essential for self-education, a means of information and knowledge. Education is the complex social process of gaining knowledge and experience formally. In involves a system used for the development of the students. The library allows us to obtain a spiritual, inspirational, informative and interesting reading experience.
The library is thus a leap in the advancement of the literacy provided in classrooms. Education and library cannot exist alone and are inseparable. The library is an essential part of any formal educational system.
Essay 3 (600 words)
School library refers to the library within the school where the members of the school community such as students, teachers, and other staff can have access to various learning and reading resources. School libraries have a positive impact on the academic performance of the students. They help in the overall personal growth and development of the users. The school library mainly contains books, audios, videos, periodicals, and digital media.
Librarians are the ones responsible for acquiring, managing, organizing and distributing library resources. They need to maintain and ensure that the library provision meets the needs of its members.
What is the Job of a School Librarian?
Here is a look at the tasks undertaken by the school librarian:
- Selecting, cataloging, organizing and developing library resources.
- Managing the staff members including recruiting, training and assigning duties.
- Listening, understanding and answering the queries of the users.
- Planning and managing budget and resources.
- Providing services to different groups of the community like students, teachers, and other staff members and meeting their needs.
- Promoting, educating and assisting users in using the library resources.
- Facilitating and assisting users with digital technology.
- Interact positively with students, teachers, staff and other users of the library.
Role of a School Librarian
Librarian has an important role to play in the effective functioning of the school library. Librarian has the essential skills to guide and support the library users learning, and help them develop into independent readers and learners. The school librarian mainly performs the role of a teacher, information specialist, instructional partner, and program administrator.
Librarians are not merely the caretakers of books anymore they are the consultants, information providers, instructional readers, curriculum designers, and teachers. They can help students in achieving their goals. The setup of the libraries has also changed into a more like classroom setup. Education trends have changed the role of school librarians with changing times:
- A librarian has professional training, education, and credentials essential to be the leader in the job. He is an accredited professional in resource and information management and provision. His role is to regularly meet the principal, teachers and attend faculty meetings in regard to collaborative design and implementation of literacy programs to be carried on in the school.
- His responsibility is to manage the school library effectively by effective, planning, budgeting, evaluation, and reporting. He needs to plan a schedule to work effectively with teachers and students, serve the key committees and manage the other library staff.
- He uses licensed resources and database including online and internet databases.
- He selects materials and resources essential for the school curriculum and meets the state standards.
- He connects teachers and students with curriculum and information.
- Librarian is the one who guides others to recognize the need for information and use it effectively.
- Encourages the use of digital technology for enhanced learning by providing continuous access to digital information resources for the school community.
- School Librarian is the one who creates and develops an environment to encourage and support reading across the school community.
- He collaborates with classroom teachers for effective planning and provision of information.
- He needs to remain updated on professional level, information technology, educational research, development and school library programs. He needs to attend staff meetings locally as well as state and national conferences.
The role of the school librarian is to empower others with resources, information, skills, and knowledge and establish flexible learning and teaching environment. School librarian is like teaching staff and has a vital role to play in supporting literacy and impact students’ learning in a positive way. School librarian supports the learning of the students and helps them develop into efficient independent learners and readers.