India is a democratic country where its citizens live freely however they have lots of rights and responsibilities towards their country. Rights and responsibilities are two sides of a coin and both go side to side. If we have rights we must have their corresponding responsibilities too. Rights and responsibilities go hand in hand with us where we live in whatever home, society, village, state, or country. Nowadays, students get assigned by their teachers to write some paragraphs or complete essays on any topic to enhance their English writing skills and knowledge as well as spread awareness.
Short and Long Essay on Rights and Responsibilities of Citizens
Essay 1 (250 words)
Fundamental rights given to the Indian citizens are an essential part of the Constitution. Such fundamental rights can be altered by the Parliament using a special procedure. No person other than Indian citizens is allowed to enjoy such rights except the right to liberty, life, and personal property. Other fundamental rights except for the right to life and personal liberty can be suspended during the time of emergency.
If any citizen found his/her rights violated can go to the court (Supreme Court and High Court) for enforcement. Some fundamental rights are positive or negative in nature and always become superior to ordinary laws. Some fundamental rights like freedom of speech, assembly, cultural rights, and educational rights are limited to citizens only.
There were no fundamental duties preserved in the Constitution of India when it came into force in 1950. However, ten fundamental duties (covered by Article 51 A) were added in the 42nd Amendment of the Constitution of India in 1976. Following are the fundamental responsibilities of Indian citizens:
- Indian citizens must respect their National Flag and the National Anthem.
- They must respect, value and follow all the noble ideals used in the national struggle for freedom.
- They must protect the power, unity, and integrity of the country.
- They guard the country and maintain the spirit of a common brotherhood.
- They must protect and preserve cultural heritage sites.
- They must protect, preserve and improve the natural environment.
- They must safeguard public property.
- They should develop a scientific temper and spirit of inquiry.
- They must work hard to get excellence in every area of individual and collective activity.
Essay 2 (300 words)
Fundamental duties of the Indian citizens are mentioned in the 42nd Amendment of the Constitution of India in 1976. All the responsibilities are very important and necessary for the vital interest of the country. They can be civic duties or moral duties which cannot be enforced legally upon the citizens even by the courts. One cannot be punished if he/she is not performing his/her duties as there is no legal force governing these duties.
Fundamental duties (right to equality, right to freedom, right against exploitation, right to freedom of religion, cultural and educational rights and right to constitutional remedies) are an integral part of the Constitution of India having a moral impact and educative value upon the Indian citizens. The inclusion of such responsibilities to the Constitution is important for the progress, peace, and prosperity of the country.
Some of the fundamental responsibilities mentioned in the Constitution of India are like respect to the National Flag, the National Anthem, citizens must defend their country, commit to provide National service whenever required, safeguard the public property, etc. Such rights and responsibilities are very important for the National interest of the country however not forcefully enforced to the people. In order to completely enjoy the rights, people must perform their responsibilities towards the country in a good manner as rights and responsibilities are related to each other. As we get rights our responsibilities increase too towards individual and social welfare. Both are not separable and vital regarding the prosperity of the country.
As a good citizen of the country, we need to know and learn all the rights and duties for the welfare of our society and country. We need to understand that all of us are responsible for the good or bad condition of society. We need to change our thinking into action to bring some positive effects on our society and country. If the individual action performed by a person can change a life; why not, our collaborative actions have positive effects on the society and country. So, the duties of citizens matter a lot for the prosperity and peace of society and the entire country.
Essay 3 (400 words)
As we are a social animal, we have lots of responsibilities for the development as well as bring prosperity and peace in the society and country. In order to fulfill our responsibilities, we have given some rights by the Constitution of India. Rights are very necessary given to the citizens for their individual development and improve social life. The democratic system of the country is completely based on the freedom of its citizens to enjoy their rights. Rights given by our Constitution are called as Fundamental Rights which cannot be taken back from us in normal times. Our Constitution gives us six rights such as:
- Right to Freedom: It is a very important fundamental right that makes people able to express their thoughts and ideas through speech, writing or other means. According to this right, a person is free to cherish, criticize or speak against the governmental policies. He/she is free to carry on any business in any corner of the country.
- Right to Freedom of Religion: There are many states in the country where people of various religions live together. Each one of us is free to practice, propagate and follow any religion we like. No one has the right to interfere with the faith of anybody.
- Right to Equality: Citizens living in India are equal and have no difference and discrimination between rich and poor or high and low. A person of any religion, caste, creed, sex or place can get the highest position in office for which he/she has the ability and required qualifications
- Right to Education and Culture: Every child has the right to education and he/she can get an education in any institution up to any level.
- Right against Exploitation: No one has the right to force anybody to work without wages or against his/her wish or children below 14 years of age.
- Right to Constitutional Remedies: It is the most important one which protects all the fundamental rights. If someone feels that his/her rights are being harmed in any condition he/she can approach the court seeking justice.
As we know that both, duties and rights go side by side. Our rights are meaningless without duties thus both are inseparable. We do not have the right to get benefited from rights if we do not follow our duties properly for the smooth running of the country. As being a citizen of the country, our responsibilities and duties are:
- We must respect the National Flag and National Anthem.
- We should respect and obey the laws of our country.
- We should enjoy rights and freedom under the limit without interfering with the freedom and rights of others.
- We should be ready to protect our country whenever required.
- We should respect and protect national property and public property (such as railways, post-offices, bridges, roadways, schools, colleges, historical buildings, places, forests, etc).
- We should pay our taxes with honesty in a timely manner.