A person’s standard of living, ways of approaching any problem, dealing with situations, reacting and responding to the circumstances, behaviour in society all of these are directly related with that person’s mental and physical health.
As Gautam Buddha said, “To keep the body in good health is a duty otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.”
You will find below a number of short and long paragraphs on Health. We hope these Health paragraphs will help students in completing their school assignments. These will also help children to write and read out paragraphs with simple words and small sentences. Students can select any Health paragraph according to their particular requirement.
Long and Short Paragraphs on Health in English
Health Paragraph 1 (100 words)
Health can be considered as the level of our physical and functional abilities to adapt to the changes in the surroundings and make the system in our body work properly. There is a specific definition given by WHO (World Health Organization) in its 1948 constitution, about health and that is, “It is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.”
In 1968, WHO further clarified about health by giving another definition: “A resource for everyday life, not the objective of living. Health is a positive concept emphasizing social and personal resources, as well as physical capacities.”
Health Paragraph 2 (150 words)
Health is broadly divided into two types: physical health and mental health. Although there are other dimensions also in which health is classified such as social, emotional, environmental, spiritual and intellectual health.
The two main types of health are discussed in brief in this paragraph:
There is a definition given by WHO for mental health: “Subjective well being, perceived self efficacy, autonomy, competency, inter generational dependence, and self actualization of one’s intellectual and emotional potential, among others.”
Mentally fit person can handle various challenges and opportunities very smoothly and without getting tired of it. Mental fitness has very little to do with IQ and intelligence and more to do with positivity and thinking in right direction.
Physical well being is of utmost importance. This is because it is most visible compared to all the other dimensions of health such as social, intellectual, emotional, spiritual and environmental well being. Physical well being is the state of body free from any diseases and abnormality.
A person must ensure good physical and mental health to lead a happy life.
Health Paragraph 2 (200 words)
There is a huge range of factors on which a person’s health depends. These factors can be broadly classified into the following categories according to the World Health Organization:
- The social and economic environment: This depends on how wealthy a family or a person is.
- The physical environment: This includes the area in which a person is living, its atmospheric temperature, humidity, pollution level and also the parasites present there.
- The person’s characteristics and behavior: This includes the genes possessed by a person and the lifestyle they chose to have.
Some of the other factors impacting health are as follows:
- Physical environment: Clean and safe water and air, hygienic workplace and safe houses – All of these contribute for a better health.
- Income and social status: Higher income and higher social status leads to better health as those people can afford the expenses of having a better environment.
- Genetics: Inheritance plays a big role in a person’s health.
- Gender: Men and women suffer from different types of diseases at different ages because of difference in their immune systems and hormones in the body.
- Education level: The more educated the people are, the more they know about their well being.
- Social support and network: Friends and family support helps in building better health. The kind of love and care taken particularly affects a person’s mental health.
Health Paragraph 4 (250 words)
To enjoy a quality life wellness of a person is very crucial. Wellness directly affects a person’s action and reaction towards a situation and those actions will eventually affect the health. Thus, it is an ongoing continuous process. A healthy body prevents many diseases and that can help a person to have his independence even as he ages.
“Health is wealth” is a very common proverb which compares the value of health with wealth and explains its importance.
How to be Healthy?
To achieve good health, one must have a healthy diet, exercise regularly, take adequate rest and ensure stress management. Following are few tips summarized in a manageable way to help one get a good health:
- One should always try to think positively and focus on gratitude.
- There should be lots of green leafy vegetables and fresh fruits included in one’s diet.
- Exercise daily at least for 15 minutes. This will help normalizing blood pressure, lowering cholesterol, combating obesity and offer many other health benefits.
- Get a proper good night’s sleep.
- One should prefer proper food instead of supplements.
- Give yourself a break at various intervals as you work through the day.
- Surround yourself with healthier people who can motivate you to be healthy.
- Make a list of the activities you want to do in the process of being healthy and check it twice. This will also help you get a better mental health.
The physical and mental health of a person is interconnected. Physical activities increase flow of oxygen and endorphins, the “feel good” chemicals in our brain because of which it can work in a better way. So take care of both these.
Health Paragraph 5 (300 words)
Today due to urbanization and rapid development, urban areas are beset with heavy traffic, air pollution, noise, anonymous high-rise blocks and violence. All these impact our physical and mental health negatively. Health should be the top most priority over other aspects of life. Due to work pressure and unhealthy life style in the cities not only the physical but the mental health of people is also getting affected. We often neglect our mental health but mental health is as important as physical health. Maintaining both mental and physical health is the major concern these days.
Mental Health and Physical Health are Interrelated
Mental health plays a crucial role in maintaining good physical health. Mental illness such as anxiety and depression affect the ability to practice healthy behaviour. This can influence the physical health. It can result in issues with physical health like chronic physical conditions that severely impact the quality of life of people. People with serious mental conditions are at higher risk of developing chronic physical illness. People with chronic physical illness are at higher risk of experiencing mental illness such as depression and anxiety.
Health is related to the overall well-being of an individual that includes physical, mental and social wellness. We often go to the doctor for physical health issues and get tests done for physical health. However, we ignore mental health and seldom visit mental health professional though it is equally important. Physical health and mental health are inter-connected and affect each other.
Neglecting physical or mental health can adversely affect the overall well-being of a person. So, it is vital to adapt a healthy lifestyle for good mental and physical health. The key aspects of healthy lifestyle include eating a well balanced diet, regular exercise, drinking plenty of water, taking proper rest, having a positive attitude towards life, developing healthy relationships, and always being happy and cheerful.
Health Paragraph 6 (350 words)
Maintaining good health is a vital part of an individual’s well-being. Poor physical health impacts the emotional health of a person, his relationships with others, financial condition and much more. So, it is important to adapt a healthy life style and encourage others to stay fit.
Ways to Maintain Physical Health
- Drink Plenty of Water: This is the most important and easy step to take towards healthy living. Our body is primarily composed of water. So it’s important to always stay hydrated. It helps cells in our body to function more efficiently.
- Exercise: Exercise is again very vital to maintain good physical health. You can do any kind of workout you like whether it’s to take a walk, practice yoga, dance, ride a bicycle or just jog around. You can also play your favourite sport to stay physically active.
- Eat Healthy: Good nutrition is important for healthy living. Healthy diet promotes your mental, physical and social well being. Your diet plays a crucial role in maintaining your health and weight. It reduces the risk of chronic diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, heart diseases and cancer. By eating healthy, your body will get the required nutrients to stay active and strong. It enhances your mood and affects your overall mind and body in a positive way.
- Maintain Hygiene: Good personal hygiene such as washing your hands, brushing your teeth twice a day, bathing regularly, trimming fingernails, wearing clean clothes and so on is important. It also refers to maintaining cleanliness at home and your workplace. Neglecting regular hygiene can have several adverse effects on your health.
- Healthy lifestyle: Practice healthy life style. Avoid smoking, alcohol and drugs to maintain good mental and physical health as it has adverse effects on your mental and physical health. Take sound sleep of minimum 7 to 9 hours daily to relax your mind and body. Always have a positive attitude towards life and remain self motivated. Always be happy in life and keep smiling as a happy you is a healthy you.
Maintaining healthy lifestyle is vital as it’s all about your personal well-being. Be active and happy to maintain physical and mental health as both are equally important.
Health Paragraph 7 (400 words)
Health is the most treasured possession of our life. Both mental and physical health are important for the healthy living. Mental health refers to psychological well being. It is the balanced state of mind functioning on an emotional and behavioural level. Mental state not only manages your consciousness but also influences how your body functions.
How to Maintain Mental Health?
- Value Yourself: Avoid self criticism and stop finding flaws within you. Indulge yourself in the activities that give you pleasure. Stress is a part of life these days so learn to practice some coping skills like taking deep breaths, playing with your pet, reading, taking long walks in nature, laughing out loud and such small stress reducing skills.
- Healthy Diet: Good nutritious food is essential for mental health. Nutrition has major impact on short and long term mental health. Food contributes in the development of mental health. Few dietary changes may help to boost cognitive function and prevent mental disorders such as depression, anxiety and schizophrenia. The gut has its own nervous system and the information is sent through vagus nerve to the brain. Thus, it impacts the functioning of the brain. Include foods such as fish, leafy greens, whole grains, lean protein, almonds and foods rich in omega-3 like walnuts and flax seeds in your diet to maintain your mental health. Make sure you drink plenty of water.
- Share your Feelings and Emotions: Sharing your feelings can help you stay happy. It helps you cope with the pain you carry in your heart alone. It isn’t a sign of weakness but will develop healthy relationships. Ask for help when needed. Being listened to will help you feel supported. Expressing your emotions and feelings freely with your loved ones will build more trust in your relationships and increase your emotional well-being. Understanding that you are valued and loved by people will help you think more optimistically.
- Exercise: Your body releases mood enhancing and stress-relieving chemicals called endorphins when you exercise, so exercise is a powerful antidote for depression, anxiety and stress. Yoga is also great to relax and strengthen your mind and body. It includes various asanas, breathing exercises and meditation that help relieve stress and enhance mood. So, any kind of workout or physical activity you love will help you maintain your mental health.
- Have Fun: Be positive and happy in life. Take some time out from your busy work schedule to enjoy and have fun in life. Party hard and laugh out loud with your family and friends. Read comic books and jokes or watch comedy shows to boost your mood. Laughter cheers you up and enhances your mood. Having fun and being happy in life will go a long way in maintaining your physical as well as mental health.
Mental health is as important as physical health and we should not neglect it. Always love and pamper yourself to feel good.