International Customs Day, well known as the ICD, is celebrated by the custom organizations every year on 26th of January. It is celebrated to commemorate the very first official conference of the Customs Co-operation Council means the World Customs Organization, WCO. World Customs Organization, having over 177 custom administration members, is called as the only intergovernmental organization which solely highlights on the customs matters. World Customs Organization was established in the year 1952 as an autonomous body to enhance the efficacy and effectiveness of the customs administrations all across the world.
International Customs Day 2017
International customs day 2017 will be celebrated on 26th of January, at Thursday.
International Customs Day Theme
International customs day is celebrated every year using different themes to focus on the particular event.
- The theme of the celebration of international customs day 2009 was “Customs and the environment: protecting our natural heritage”.
- The theme of the celebration of international customs day 2010 was “Customs and Business: improving performance through partnerships”.
- The theme of the celebration of international customs day 2011 was “Knowledge, a catalyst for Customs Excellence” to effectively implement the mandatory services by the customs fraternity.
- The theme of the celebration of international customs day 2012 was “Borders divide, Customs connects”.
- The theme of the celebration of international customs day 2013 was “Innovation for Customs progress”.
- The theme of the celebration of international customs day 2014 was “Communication: sharing information for better cooperation”.
- The theme of the celebration of international customs day 2015 was “Coordinated Border Management: an inclusive approach for connecting stakeholders”.
- The theme of the celebration of international customs day 2016 would be “Digital Customs: Progressive Engagement”.
- The theme of the celebration of international customs day 2017 is “Data Analysis for Effective Border Management.”
International Customs Day theme highlights the significance of business partnership approach. It contributes in many areas such as trade supply chain security, worldwide customs growth, enhancing business standards and public-private enterprises. WCO members celebrate international customs day as a magnificent reminder to play vital role to the customs bodies all over the world.
Why International Customs Day is Celebrated
International customs organization plays a big role in developing the global business instead of increasing the risks of international security. International security dangers negatively affect the worldwide business scenario. So, the international customs day has been decided to celebrate every year to fulfill the requirements of the customs bodies. It regulates the better establishment and understanding of the business firms.
Growth of the international legal trades is stimulated by the World Customs Organization through several vital steps. It helps in combating with the danger of the fraudulent activities by promoting a candid, apparent and safe custom environment worldwide.
It is celebrated as a yearly event of the World Customs Organization to memorialize the establishment of the World Customs Organization in the year 1953 in order to support the International Customs cooperation. In order to get customs excellence, the secretary general of the World Customs Organization has made a call for promoting the management and professional training.
It is getting celebrated in different countries in different ways. In order to face the recent trends and lots of challenges, The Zimbabwe Revenue Authority attempts regularly to provide the excellent services and training to its officers.
The Customs Co-operation Council was marked on 15th of December in the year 1950 in the Brussels. However, it came into force two years later on 4th of November in the year 1952 which was officially inaugurated on 26th of January in the year 1953 with the involvement of representatives from different countries. The Customs Co-operation Council was approved as a World Customs Organization in the year 1994 to become a global intergovernmental organization.
Objectives of Celebrating International Customs Day
- It is celebrated to enhance the effectiveness and efficacy of the member customs administrations.
- To innovatively assist the member custom administrations to actively contribute to the custom development.
- To achieve the international level goals.
- To enhance the revenue collection, community protection, national security and trade statistics collection.