As a developing country, India highly needs cleanliness to promote health, social standard, tourism and other important factors to accelerate the growth of the nation. Since cleanliness is not something to be exercised by few people only but it needs the co-operation of the whole population of the nation without any distinction so in the series, the 14th Prime Minister of India Mr. Narendra Modi stepped forward to make India completely clean with the help of the people and launched a campaign called “Swachh Bharat Abhiyan” on 2nd October 2014 at Raj-path, New Delhi.
Need of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
We are told from our childhood that “Cleanliness is the best service to the Nation” but I am sure that most of us have failed to apply it in our life. Cleanliness is what our country needs desperately now. I am very keen to describe why we need “Swachh Bharat Abhiyan” and why we should participate in this movement. Some reasons are given below.
- Open defecation has always been a major problem in India and it is being practiced for many years continuously. People in rural areas are especially prone to open defecation and no one can deny the fact that open defecation is a big reason for causing diseases and sometimes fatal diseases like cholera, diarrhoea, typhoid etc. Swachh Bharat Abhiyan will help India in becoming open defection free and rural area to be healthy and happy.
- The condition in urban areas in India is not much better than those in the rural areas in context of cleanliness. Big cities and towns are the main sources of open dumping and littering. Even, sometimes, the open dumping is done on the roadside or near a public place like any Park, Shopping Mall, Schools and Collages and others and people passing through these ways are infected to dangerous viruses and get sick.
- Cleanliness is very important from the point of view to increase to Tourism in India. We all know that growth in tourism will bring the growth in economy but tourism will be promoted only if there will be sufficient cleanliness in the nation. No tourist will be plan to visit a country with littering everywhere and dirty smells all the time. Suppose by chance any visitor visits India then he will spread the image of a dirty and unhygienic India in the world.
- Swachh Bharat Abhiyan is also necessary to memorise people their duty to keep their surroundings clean. As a part of society, we remember our rights but don’t care about duties. We feel that cleanliness is the duty of some specific Government departments and thus we recklessly spread littering and dumping anywhere assuming it is our birth right.
- Swachh Bharat Abhiyan is also aimed at eliminating contaminated water from our surroundings because it gives rise to dirty smells and mosquitoes which cause the depletion your health.
- The poor hygiene and sanitation also affects the economic condition of India and makes it gradually worse every year. The World Bank issued a report in 2006 according to which the poor hygiene and sanitation makes India to lose 6.4% of its GDP every year.
- As per another report/survey, children’s death rate in India is very high and it incurs the death of minimum 1000 children everyday only because of poor hygiene, lack of sanitation and the mass practices of open defecation.
- The extreme need of “Swachh Bharat Abhiyan” in India can also be understood by the fact that the river “Ganga”, which is considered to be the holiest river in India and bathing in which was considered to make you get rid of many diseases, has now became dirty and now its water is being the reason for many diseases because it unexpectedly has grew the number of “Faecal Coliform Bacteria”.
There are a number of many other reasons why we need “Swachh Bharat Abhiyan” and other such movements and campaigns in our country but before going through these points to understand the need of cleanliness, ask yourselves why we don’t need cleanliness, do we have proper cleanliness and hygiene, Is our society clean, do we clean our surroundings after cleaning our houses. All these questions will help you to identify whether we need a cleanliness campaign or not.
Importance of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
Importance of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan is nothing but the importance of cleanliness in India. Cleanliness has always been beneficial and it makes society look beautiful and make it provide a healthy environment. In the country like India where people, whether well educated or illiterate, are completely unconscious about cleanliness and hygiene there the campaigns like Swachh Bharat Abhiyan play a key role in the development of society and the country by improving the health of citizens. Importance of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan is as follows-
- The main objective behind launching the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan is to make India completely open defecation free by the end of the year 2019. The reduction in the ratio of population exercising open defecation will help in providing the better environment and health to the citizens.
- The land being used for open defecation for many years will now be available for other productive works like farming, gardening, Industries or other commercial and productive purposes.
- Although the people in urban areas are much educated yet they lacks the awareness for cleanliness and proper sanitation. Swachh Bharat Abhiyan is a good initiative of Government of India to remind them their duties and keep their localities clean by not littering everywhere and using dustbins.
- Absence of good hygiene is also caused by the lack of proper knowledge. Poor people living in camps in urban areas do not posses education and that is why they do not understand the value of sanitation. Swachh Bharat Abhiyan has also focused on making people aware of the bad effects of poor hygiene and telling them to maintain proper cleanliness around them for their own safety.
- As earlier discussed that child death rate in India due to poor sanitation is very high and it is not a good sign for a developing country. All the medical facilities will fail if we fail in maintaining fresh and healthy environment. Swachh Bharat Abhiyan is the tool for us to reduce the child mortality rate in India by cleaning our surroundings and providing our younger a better world to live in.
- Cleanliness is not for our personal growth only but it is also for the growth of the nation as well. Cleaning the national heritages and public places in India and making them suffocation free will grow the tourism in India that will ultimately increase the GDP of the nation and will help to run the economy smoothly.
Conclusion: Swachh Bharat Abhiyan is a commendable step of the Government of India. We all know that cleanliness has always been the first need of India. We should show our support to the Government in cleanliness and must join our hands and promote it from our locality. No cleanliness in India can be achieved without the participation of the India. It is we who can make our environment clean and gift a fresh and healthy future to our next generation. So
“Pick up the broom without being mean; our basic need is proper sanitation and hygiene”.