Global warming, as the title says, when the globe gets warmer due to the rise in temperature of the earth it’s called global warming. It is generally attributed to greenhouse effect. Global warming is a global issue and is as vast. The temperature of the earth is elevating constantly. Human activities responsible for global warming are burning of fossil fuels, deforestation, overpopulation, farming, garbage etc that release greenhouse gases in the atmosphere causing this global problem.
Essay on Role of Human Activities in Global Warming in English
Here are essays on role of human activities in global warming of varying lengths to help you with the topic in your exam. You can select any ‘role of human activities in global warming essay’ as per your need:
Role of Human Activities in Global Warming Essay 1 (200 words)
Global warming is drastic rise in the temperature of earth commonly a result of greenhouse effect. We, humans are inhuman to our nature. The temperature of the earth rises by releasing greenhouse gases to power our modern lives. Our earth is a beautiful place with oceans, mountains, forests, snow-capped mountains, farms etc. But its beauty is fading away with the climate change due to human activities.
The factors that mainly influence global warming are the burning of fossil fuels, oils and gases. They emit harmful greenhouse gases that heat the earth’s temperature. Deforestation is another major cause as trees absorb carbon dioxide and provide oxygen. Cutting down trees releases CO2 back in the atmosphere. Farming of sheep, cows and goats on a large scale releases greenhouse gas called methane.
There are several effects of global warming that have been observed. Rising of sea level, increase in ocean acidification, melting of ice glaciers, change in agricultural production and frequent natural disasters like flood, droughts are few among them. Climate is a victim of human activities and now we are victims of climate change. It is rightly said, what we give comes back to us.
Global warming is a massive issue that needs to be solved. Government has implemented climate change solutions but we need to play our part by saving energy in several ways on daily basis. It is important to spread a word about it among the communities to reduce the effect of global warming.
Role of Human Activities in Global Warming Essay 2 (300 words)
Global warming is when carbon dioxide, greenhouse gases and other pollutants in the atmosphere consume the sunlight that is recoiled of the earth’s surface. Generally the radiation would bounce back to space, but these gases that last for centuries in the atmosphere, suck the heat which makes the temperature warm.
Over past few centuries humans have changed the earth’s temperature in dramatic ways resulting in global warming. There should be a balance between the radiation that the earth receives from the space and the radiation that bounces back to the space. 30% of the radiation is immediately reflected back to space by clouds, ice, snow, and other reflective surfaces. The remaining 70% of the radiation is absorbed by the land, oceans and atmosphere. As the Earth heats up, it releases heat in the form of thermal radiation which passes out of atmosphere into the space. Without atmospheric equilibrium Earth would be as cold as Moon or as hot as Venus.
Greenhouse Effect on Global Warming
Greenhouse receives heat in the form of UV radiation of sun. The UV rays pass easily from the transparent glasses of the greenhouse and get absorbed by the plants. Weaker radiation gets trapped inside the glasses thus warming the greenhouse. Greenhouse effect is the natural process that warms the temperature of the earth. The natural greenhouse gases in the atmosphere cause 33°Celsius warmer temperature than it would be in its absence.
Enhanced Green House Effect
Our current problem is the enhanced greenhouse effect due to human activities like burning fossil fuels, over use of natural resources, clearing forests, farming etc. that are increasing the concentrations of greenhouse gases. Greenhouse gases include carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, ozone, methane, water vapor and chemicals such as CFCs.
It is a fact that burning fossil fuels like oil, coal and gas releases greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. The gases raise the temperature of the atmosphere. The switch to renewable resources for energy such as wind energy, solar energy and hydropower will help to moderate the demand of fossil fuels which will cut down the emission of greenhouse gases. We can also contribute by planting trees, saving electricity, using public transport instead of car, and creating awareness to prevent global warming.
Role of Human Activities in Global Warming Essay 3 (400 words)
Humans influence the climate drastically. The heat composition of greenhouse gases traps the heat that would otherwise bounce back to the space making the earth warmer. And as the temperature becomes warmer we begin to feel the effects of global warming.
Effects of Global Warming
Here is a look at some of the effects of global warming in detail:
- Oceans control temperature of the earth and provide 50% of the oxygen. Global warming has raised the oceans temperature by more than 3° F since 1969. The depreciating consequence is rise in acidification of the oceans chemistry as effect from carbon dioxide in the atmosphere reacting to salt water. 30% acidification is increased since 18th Ocean species are at risk due to acidification.
- Sea levels have also raised 6.7 inches since past century due to global warming. When the ocean gets warmer it swells. Ice ocean glaciers melt and the sea rises. Coastal regions get flooded.
- The growth of plants has become less nutritious. Agriculture sector may get affected due to drought, severe weather, less underground water, etc. There could be shortage of livestock products worldwide. The consequences of climate change on human may result in hunger, poverty and diseases and rise in cases of severe conditions like asthma. Spread of diseases like malaria, dengue and other kinds of fever is also expected. More people will suffer from undernourishment.
- It is predicted that hurricanes will become more intense due to climate change in near future.
- As per Climate Central, scientists predict that weather events such as heat waves, droughts and rain storms will occur more frequently and intensely in future. It is predicted that dry regions will turn drier, while wet regions will get wetter in future, though some cases can be modified by local conditions.
- As per National Academy of Sciences, many animal and plant species are moving their range northward or to higher altitudes due to climate change. The problem is when climate change velocity is quicker than the rate some species migrate, as they may not be able to survive in the changing climates. Disease causing pathogen is increasing, killing some of plant and animal species.
Global warming has become a long term challenge that requires continuous action and investment over decades. It would also require various short and long term measures by the nation to reach the goal. Measures are needed to improve energy efficiency and promote the use of low-carbon fuels. Investment in the development of eco-friendly technology and infrastructure must to be encouraged.
Role of Human Activities in Global Warming Essay 4 (500 words)
Global warming is a result of increase in average temperature near the surface of earth over the past centuries. Greenhouse gases released by human activities are carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide and fluorinated gases. These are the most dominant gases that contribute towards the rise in temperature. Scientists around the world have accumulated an overwhelming amount of evidence making it clear that human activities are highly responsible for global warming.
Top Causes of Global Warming/ Role of Human Activities in Global Warming
Human activities mainly responsible for global warming are as follows:
- Burning of fossil fuels
- Over Population
Burning of Fossil Fuels
With the industrial revolution, human beings began to burn vast amount of fossil fuels like oils and gases for the generation of power and heat, these fuels and oils when burned, release carbon dioxide and other harmful gases in the atmosphere rising up the natural greenhouse effects. As a result, more heat is absorbed into the atmosphere and the temperature of the earth rises.
Forests are a boon for the climate of earth. Humans clear forests and cut down or burn trees for obtaining wood, developing infrastructure, making paper from the wood pulp and many other activities. Trees absorb carbon dioxide and release oxygen as they grow. Clearing forests and cutting or burning trees releases the stored carbon dioxide back into the atmosphere. Forests are the carbon sinks and destroying forests turns these carbon sinks into a source of greenhouse gases which fuels climate change even more. Globally one-fifth of the greenhouse gas pollution comes from forest degradation. Reforestation, planting trees and preventing deforestation is important for better climate.
Many animals that are gazed like, sheep, goats and cows produce greenhouse gas methane that contributes towards global warming. Farmers use high amount of fertilizers that release nitrous oxide a greenhouse gas with 300 times as much heat-trapping power as carbon dioxide. The use of different fertilizers and different stock feeds can help in reducing global warming.
The garbage and waste that we throw out of our house go to landfills. Some of this garbage is used by the recycling companies to make useful products. The garbage used for recycling process releases toxic gases in the atmosphere. Most of the garbage is burnt and emits gases like methane in the atmosphere that causes global warming.
More population means more pollution. Rise in population raises the demand of electricity, goods, food, transport, infrastructure etc. We exploit more natural resources and all this ultimately leads to global warming.
Human beings are the main cause of global warming and they can also be the solution to prevent global warming. Long-term planning and investment is needed to prevent global warming. Major action must be taken against global warming. Policies are needed for energy efficiency and to encourage the use of less carbon fuels. Use of renewable power should be increased. Reforestation instead of deforestation should be the goal. Investment in the innovations of clean-tech will help prevent global warming. We all need to save energy in every possible way. Planting trees is one of the simplest and effective ways to do so.
Role of Human Activities in Global warming Essay 5 (600 words)
Global warming is the rise in the average temperature of earth. Mankind tends to control nature for personal benefits. Human beings have forgotten that we are only a small part of nature. We need to see the larger picture.
Natural Factors and Human Activities Responsible for Global Warming
Humans are not the only suspects of global warming. Global warming existed even before the humans evolved. Sun is the chief driver of the climate. Temperature of the earth rises mainly when more energy from sun enters the atmosphere than bounces back to the space. A drop in solar activity creates colder climate than usual. Other such natural factors responsible are volcanic eruptions as well as other heat trapping gases in the atmosphere.
The major human climate drivers are heat trapping emissions from burning coal, gas and oil in power plants and cars, clearing forests, black carbon pollution, etc. Carbon dioxide is a demon for our atmosphere. Carbon dioxide is released when we burn fossil fuels, coal and oils to generate energy we use to power homes, transport, smart phones, televisions and other devices. Other greenhouse gases are methane, ozone and nitrous oxide.
Measures to Prevent Global Warming
To address the dangers of global warming government has to implement climate solutions. Some measures to prevent global warming are as follows:
- Stop Deforestation
Deforestation is one of the major causes of global warming accounting for major heat-trapping emissions. Reducing deforestation and promoting reforestation can significantly reduce global warming.
- Use of Renewable Sources of Energy
Studies have shown that burning of fossil fuels like coal, gas and oil raises the temperature of air by releasing greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. A change to renewable source of energy such as solar, wind and hydropower will help reduce the demand of fossil fuels which will eventually lower the emission of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.
- Clean Energy Economy
It is essential to build a clean energy economy by investing in energy efficient technologies and industries.
- Investments in Agriculture
Investments should be done to improve agricultural practices that can reduce the release of nitrous oxide and methane.
What are Contributions General Public can give towards Lowering Global Warming
Here are a few simple steps that we as commoners can take to reduce global warming:
- Use florescent light bulbs instead of incandescent light bulbs as florescent light bulbs consume 25% energy compared to incandescent bulbs. Also one can use LED bulbs and LED technology that saves electricity.
- Switch off electric appliances when not in use and also instruct children to save electricity.
- Use fans instead of air conditioners.
- Use energy efficient appliances.
- Recycle and reuse things.
- Use products with minimum packaging.
- Convert your heating system to solar energy and use solar cookers for cooking.
- Use electric or hybrid cars instead of gasoline car if you can afford to. Hybrid or electric car gives you 130 to 140 mg where as gasoline car covers 20 to 30 miles per gallon.
- Plant trees and spread awareness about planting more and more trees as trees absorb carbon dioxide and release oxygen.
- Reduce lighting during day time. Allow sunlight in from the doors and windows of your house for the natural lighting.
- Save water by taking short showers. Turn off the tap when brushing your teeth. Use less hot water.
- Eat less of meat as livestock products are resource intensive to produce. Eating less meat can make a huge difference too.
- Using public transport instead of cars will save a lot of energy and reduce air pollution.
Natural climate drivers cannot be held responsible for global warming. Human induced climate change is the vital cause of global warming. It is vital to educate people and spread awareness about global warming and the measures that we can take to prevent global warming.