Global Warming is the continual change in the Earth’s temperature due to the release of harmful greenhouse gases such as methane and carbon. These gases are making the atmosphere warmer. The history of global warming largely dates back to the inception of the industrial revolution. Man has always been interested in exploring about the Earth’s atmosphere. It is said that even in the ancient times, it was believed that man can contribute towards the change in global temperature. Many studies have been going on in this regard since around two centuries and it was in early twentieth century that scientists came up with the theory of global warming.
Long and Short Essay on History of Global Warming in English
We have provided below short and long essay on History of Global Warming in English.
The essays have been written in simple yet effective English language so that you can easily remember them and also present them when required.
After going through the History of Global Warming essays you will know what Global is warming and also about its history; impact of global warming; history of global warming and climate change; global warming facts; phenomenon of global warming dismissed in the past; inception of the concept of global warming etc.
You can use these History of Global Warming essay in your school/college events wherein you are required to give speech, write essays or take part in debate competition.
Short Essay on History of Global Warming – Essay 1 (200 words)
Global warming is a cause of great concern today. It is the increase in pollution level owing to the so called urban development that is causing this global phenomenon. Around a century back the concept of global warming had not even been recognized although the scientists did doubt that human activities may result in warming of the Earth’s temperature over the time.
It was around the 1930s that the researchers and scientists claimed that the growing amount of carbon emission in the atmosphere was having a warming effect on our planet. It was observed that first world countries that had welcomed Industrial Revolution full fledgedly by that time were experiencing substantial increase in the temperature. It was predicted that the temperature was likely to rise further in the coming years. The prediction wasn’t taken as seriously around that time however the scientists continued to research on the possible changes in the temperature in the times to come and the affect it would have on the Earth’s environment.
Many projects were introduced to closely monitor the changes in the climate due to the increasing level of carbon and various greenhouse gases. The temperature of the Earth is increasing at a steady speed since then and the phenomenon of this change in climate is now commonly referred to as global warming.
Essay on Impact and History of Global Warming – Essay 2 (300 words)
Global warming is a result of the increasing level of carbon and other harmful gases on Earth. The increase in the amount of these harmful gases can be attributed to various factors including the rising population, urbanization, increasing use of technology and rising number of factories.
Global Warming: History
Around a century ago, researchers had shown concern about the rise in the Earth’s surface temperature owing to carbon emission. The growing amount of carbon as well as other harmful gases since then has led to global warming. Scientists have been collating data and conducting rigorous research on the subject since the mid twentieth century. Research shows that the Earth’s temperature has increased alarmingly over the last century.
Impact of Global Warming
Global warming has led to drastic changes in our atmosphere. Here is a look at the impact of global warming:
- Global warming has resulted in the melting of glaciers. This has increased the water level in oceans and seas. The increasing water level of the seas is becoming a threat for those living in the coastal areas.
- Global warming is having a huge impact on the precipitation pattern. While many areas are experiencing drought like situation others are experiencing heavy floods.
- The intensity of heat waves has increased and this has resulted in the rise in various health problems such as sun strokes and headache.
- The oceans absorb the harmful gases released in the atmosphere due to which their water is becoming acidic. This has become a threat to the marine life.
- A number of species of plants and animals are unable to withstand the changing climatic conditions caused due to global warming. A number of such species have disappeared or are on the verge of extinction.
- Global warming has led to a number of health problems. People are experiencing lung infection, dizziness and many other serious health problems due to global warming.
Thus, global warming is a cause of global concern. It is time for us to understand the seriousness of this issue and work collectively to save our planet from its effects.
Essay on History of Global Warming and Climate Change – Essay 3 (400 words)
Global warming is a result of various modern day human activities. Our planet had been kept safe all these centuries as people were closer to the nature and enjoyed a simple life. While the advancement in technology has made life comfortable for men on one hand, it has had numerous negative repercussions on the environment. Global warming is one such negative impact of technology on our beautiful planet.
History of Global Warming
In the late 19th century, it was observed that the Earth’s temperature may rise in the coming years and the reason for the same would be the increasing amount of carbon emission in the atmosphere. However, there was no strong proof about the same. It was in around 1938 that the theory was backed by data collected over the last 50 years. This data clearly showed that the temperature of our planet had gone up during these years. The curiosity about the subject rose and many scientists and researchers became involved in its study.
A rise in the temperature was observed through the 1970s and 1980s and the term global warming was coined around the same time. Since then, the temperature of Earth is rising.
Climate Change Due to Global Warming
Research shows that the climate of our planet has undergone a major change in the last century. As per a research conducted by NASA, the Earth’s temperature has gone up by around 1.4 degree Fahrenheit since 1880.
It has increased substantially since the beginning of the twenty first century owing to the increase in the emission of greenhouse gases. This increase is alarming and it is anticipated that the condition is likely to worsen further in the times to come if the human activities resulting in global warming are not controlled.
A number of climatic changes have been observed in the last two decades. Global warming has led to the melting of glaciers which in turn has resulted in increase in the temperature of the Polar Regions. Warmer areas have been impacted as badly. Our planet never experienced such strong heat waves as it is observing in the current times. There has also been a change in the timings of the seasons and that too has been attributed to global warming.
Our planet is getting warmer owing to global warming which is a result of various human activities. The causes of global warming have already been identified. We need to work on the solution now.
Essay on Global Warming Facts – Essay 4 (500 words)
Global warming is the rise in the temperature of Earth which is affecting the climate adversely. This is being caused due to a number of human activities. Global warming is having numerous negative repercussions on our planet. While the term global warming is used widely these days, there are certain facts about this phenomenon that the common man is not really aware of.
Facts about Global Warming
Here are some of the facts about global warming. They give a brief on the causes of global warming, its effect and how it has changed the overall climate of our planet:
- The surface temperature of Earth has increased around 1.62 degrees Fahrenheit in the last one century.
- The last four decades have seen a substantial rise in the Earth’s temperature and have contributed to the increase in global warming.
- Global warming is caused due to various human activities including burning of fossil fuels, overpopulation, accumulation of garbage and deforestation among other things.
- Global warming has led to the melting of glaciers and rise in the sea level. This has increased the chances of floods in the coastal areas. People living in such areas live under constant fear of getting caught in the flood during the monsoon season.
- Researchers claim that the sea levels are likely to rise by 7-23 inches in the times to come.
- Since the temperature has gone up due to global warming, the intensity of the heat waves has also increased. This has led to problem such as sun stroke. The cases of people suffering from sun stroke have increased drastically in the last decade.
- The growing intensity of heat waves on Earth is also a cause of frequent wildfires.
- The glaciers are melting at a rapid speed because of global warming. Many huge glaciers have melted in the last few decades. The Montana Glacier National Park that had as many as 150 glaciers in 1910 is now left with just 25 glaciers.
- Global warming is also a cause of frequent hurricanes, storms and droughts in many parts of the world.
- More than a million species have disappeared from the face of Earth because of the adverse effects of global warming and many others are on the verge of extinction.
- Global warming is resulting in the melting of the Arctic ice and it is predicted that the region may be completely ice free during summers by the year 2040. This would be one place which would be worst effected by global warming.
- Global warming can be a cause of shortage of food and water in the coming years and this can create a major problem for the living beings on the planet.
- The colder areas of the planet that are a habitat for flora and fauna accustomed to breed and survive in such a climate are getting warmer and this is resulting in the extinction of many species.
Global warming is thus deteriorating our environment and making the survival of the living beings extremely hard. It is time for us to control the human activities leading to global warming to limit the effect of this problem.
Long Essay on History of Global Warming – Essay 5 (600 words)
The concept of global warming and its effect on the Earth’s climate is known by almost everyone in today’s times. It is talked about widely on the internet, on news channels and newspapers. Scientists have been conducting vast research on this subject. They share their findings about this concept with the general public every now and then.
Phenomenon of Global Warming Dismissed in the Past
The phenomenon of global warming was not known until a few decades back. In fact, the scientists and researchers who studied the subject closely and suggested change in the climate in the future were not taken seriously. Their theories were often taken lightly or dismissed completely. It was argued that human activities cannot be strong enough to create a huge impact on the planet. Around a century back, it wasn’t expected that this will become a cause of serious concern.
Inception of the Concept of Global Warming
Though, the research involving the impact of human activities on the climate was not given much importance largely, however, those interested in the subject kept a close watch on the Earth’s temperature and the changes it was going through. They kept a track of the noticeable changes. It was in the year 1896, that a Swedish scientist, Svante Arrhenius, suggested that Earth’s climate was changing due to the increasing amount of carbon emission in the atmosphere. However, not much weightage was given to his study as the scientists during that time emphasized that Earth has its own way of maintaining the ecological balance and thus this cannot have any widespread impact on the environment or life on our planet.
It was in the late 1930s that an engineer collated and studied the data of the Earth’s temperature and noticed that it had actually increased substantially over the last 50 years. This was the first time that the subject was taken seriously and researchers actually suspected that this could be a cause of concern in the coming years.
However, the next three decades saw a decrease in the temperature by around 0.2 degree centigrade. This was a result of the volcanic eruptions and the industrial activities that took place around that time. This resulted in high amount of sulphate aerosols concentration in the atmosphere. Sulphate aerosols scatter light from the Sun and reflect its heat and energy back in the space. This has a calming effect on the Earth’s climate.
However, the amount of sulphate aerosols was brought down by lowering the activities resulting in the same to ensure a cleaner atmosphere. This led to the warming of Earth in the 1970s. The rise in the temperature of the Earth’s surface became a cause of concern and researchers started monitoring it intently.
Concept of Global Warming Finally Recognized
It was a research paper in 1975 that first mentioned the term global warming. The temperature kept rising through the 1980s and became a cause of growing concern. This was the time when the general public also became aware about this new phenomenon. The problems that could be underway owing to the change in the climate were shared by the media around that time. The effect of greenhouse gases on the atmosphere was also discussed around the same time. Studies suggested that the temperature was likely to rise higher in the twenty first century.
The scientists during that time anticipated a number of changes in the atmosphere owing to global warming. Many of the anticipated changes such as rise in the ocean levels, frequent wildfires and intense heat waves began showing up since the beginning of the twenty first century and are a common sight now.
Global warming has become a cause of growing concern. It is damaging our atmosphere year after year and will lead to mass destruction if not controlled on time.