Rainwater harvesting involves the collection and storage of rainwater into the natural reservoirs or artificial reservoirs in order to prevent the surface water runoff.
Essay on Rain Water Harvesting
We have provided variety of paragraph and essay on rain water harvesting under different words limit for the students. It is very important topic on which students may be assigned to write essay or paragraph on the rain water harvesting. You can select any rain water harvesting essay given below according to the need and requirement.
Rain Water Harvesting Essay 1 (100 words)
Rain water harvesting is a technique used for collecting and storing rainwater by using various means in different resources for the future use purpose (like cultivation, etc). Rain water can be collected into the natural reservoirs or artificial tanks. Another method of collection is infiltration of surface water into the subsurface aquifers before getting lost by surface overflow. Rooftop harvesting is also a method to collect rainwater. It is of big importance to the people living in the less rainfall areas. They can continue seasonal crop harvesting using collected rain water even in the lack of regular water supply. Whenever it rains, rain water gets collected into the man made ponds or tanks.
Rain Water Harvesting Essay 2 (150 words)
Rain water harvesting is the collection of rainwater into the man made resources or any natural resource like pond, lake, etc at the same place where it falls from rooftops or ground. Two main techniques of rainwater harvesting are storage for future use and recharge into the ground. It can be used for crop harvesting, gardening, toilets, etc. Following are the benefits of rainwater harvesting at individual or city-wide level:
- It helps in reducing the water supply bills especially to the institutions.
- Rainwater recharged to the ground positively affects groundwater quality by diluting fluorides, nitrates and its salinity.
- It contains almost neutral pH and zero hardness which makes it more able to be used in homes, industries, institutions and other commercial establishments.
- It may reduce the stress of public water supply sources.
- Recharge of rainwater to the ground prevents sea-water immersion into the fresh water bodies in the coastal areas.
- It helps in controlling urban flooding if people do rainwater harvesting from rooftops.
- It reduces water demands of people from the municipality thus lessens energy consumption too in distributing water all through the city.
Rain Water Harvesting Essay 3 (200 words)
Rainwater harvesting means collecting the rain water into the natural reservoirs or man-made tanks. It is the technique to collect and store rainwater for various purposes in the future. The most common and easy method of rain water harvesting is the rooftop harvesting. Using this technique we can collect lots of clean rain water in the rainy season. It can be stored for long time for the household purposes like gardening, livestock, and irrigation, etc. Following are benefits of rain water harvesting:
- It helps in reducing water supply loads and electricity bills of municipality, improve free water supply, crop production in rural areas, and thus lead to food security.
- Rain water harvesting system helps in reducing the insecurity of households or individuals in the rural areas.
- It provides easy and low cost water supply in the lack of water areas thus helps in food security and income generation.
Tamil Nadu is one of the states of India and now has been first Indian state where rainwater harvesting has been mandatory. Tamil Nadu state government has declared on 30th of May 2014 to establish around 50,000 rainwater harvesting structures at various places in the Chennai. Till now, approximately 4,000 of the temples in the Tamilnadu have rain water tanks serving at various rituals in temples and help in recharging the groundwater.
Rain Water Harvesting Essay 4 (250 words)
Every drop of rain water is like blessings of God to the people on the earth. Fresh rain water falls on the ground like pearls, so everyone should understand the importance of rain water especially in developing regions and rural areas lack of natural water resources. We should try to collect rain water without wasting through rooftops and along streets run off. We should bring our old traditional harvesting practices using new and effective technologies to make easy water supply in all the regions. As only hand pumps, wells, and other resources of groundwater levels cannot fulfill the potable water need of hundreds of thousands of people.
Rainwater harvesting is the most sustainable and effective way for many years to make water available in the areas lacking water. Rainwater harvesting is very low cost method along with lots of benefits. It helps in various purposes like household works, field irrigation, livestock, agriculture and animal husbandry.
It helps in rejuvenating the groundwater levels in both directly and indirectly manner. Groundwater level can be replenished by rain water harvesting methods of trenches, anicut, dug wells, contour, etc whereas other rain water harvesting methods like underground water tanks, ponds, etc help in reducing the use of groundwater for at least four to six months. It is very effective in the hilly regions and desert regions of the India and other countries. More and clean rain water can be collected in the rainy season by making large and clean water body.
Rain Water Harvesting Essay 5 (300 words)
Now-a-days, people have been depended on the government system of water supply for getting water for their every need. The present scenario of water management and distribution in the cities has been centralized by the government which has brought a big gap of community responsibility in water management. It has slowly but regularly finished the old traditional water harvesting system.
Rainwater harvesting is again a new but old and effective technique of collecting rain water during rainy season for future usage purpose. It is being frequently used in various places of India to overcome the problems of lack of water. Rain water harvesting is the good source of ground water recharge in natural way. However, the ground water level is getting less day by day because of the rapid urbanization and cities development at huge level as well as reduction in percolation of the rainwater to the ground. Rainwater harvesting is the way to reduce the use of ground water as well as maintain its level forever in the future. It is of more importance to the drought regions of India and other countries to supply the demands of water for various purposes. Following are mentioned points proving the fact why to harvest rainwater:
- It plays great role in protecting the ground water decline and improving the ground water table.
- It helps in improving the water quality in aquifers.
- It is to conserve more water and prevent surface water runoff during the monsoon.
- It helps in reducing the soil erosion.
- It is to bring the old tradition of water conservation among people.
Rain water can be harvested in better way using following methods like surface runoff harvesting and roof top rainwater harvesting. Both are very effective methods help in enhancing the level of ground water and fulfill the need of water supply in easy and cost effective way.
Rain Water Harvesting Essay 6 (400 words)
Rainwater harvesting is the collection and storage of rain water in the natural resources or artificially designed resources to prevent water runoff and fulfill the lack of water in future. The quantity of water harvesting is affected by the number of factors like frequency of rainfall, quantity of rainfall, way of collecting rain water, and size of resources to collect water. The ground water level is getting depleted day by day due to various reasons like deforestation and ecological imbalance. Increasing level of urbanization and industrialization constantly increases the demand of water supply especially in the urban areas. It results in the overuse of ground water and thus going low level. The risk of water scarcity in the future has been increased to a great extent and can be life threatening if some effective solutions are not followed.
Water harvesting is very helpful and fulfill various need like recharging the ground water level, reduces electricity bill spend in supplying water and provide easy water supply anytime when required. It is estimated that 1 meter rise in the water level saves around 0.4 KWH of electricity.
Why Rain Water Harvesting is Necessary:
Rain water harvesting is very necessary to be practiced by the people in all regions. It is good to reduce the fear of water scarcity in the future. Following are the points proving the fact that why rain water harvesting is necessary:
- Surface water cannot fulfill the demand of water for various purposes.
- Everyone depend on the ground water for their every need.
- Deforestation, rapid urbanization, rain water infiltration to the sub-soil, etc reasons are continuously decreasing the level of ground water.
- Rain water conservation maintains the level of water in natural water resources.
- It reduces the chance of flooding of water on the roads, reduces the risk of soil erosion and improves the quality of water.
Following are main techniques of rain water harvesting:
- Collecting rainwater to the surface for future use.
- Recharging the ground water.
Collecting rain water to the surface is very effective and traditional technique. It can be done using small ponds, underground tanks, dams, weirs etc. However, ground water recharging technique is a new concept of harvesting. It can be done using dug wells, pits, trenches, hand pumps, recharge wells, recharge shafts, recharge lateral shafts with bore wells, spreading technique (means spread of water to the stream, nala, etc).