Considering the damage to the environment caused by human activities, it becomes imperative to take steps for its protection. The environment is essential for the survival of flora and fauna and also, to maintain favorable ecological balance its serenity must be preserved. Continuous damage to the environment on the behest of man’s quest for progress is an issue that concerns the very existence of our future generations. The very essential oxygen that we need to live is provided to us by the environment; the water that we drink; the fruits, the crops, trees, flowers, streams, etc are also provided only by the environment. Damaging the environment is like cutting your own nerve or slitting your own throat; however slow you go, nevertheless, the damage gets irreparable the deeper you cut.
Long and Short Essay on Environment Protection
Essay on Environment Protection and Conservation (300 Words)
Protecting the environment is the moral duty of every human being on this planet, rather it’s not only protecting the environment indirectly it is about protecting ourselves from a major loss. How ignorant can we afford to be when it is the question of our survival?
How to Converse Our Environment/Tips for Environment Conservation
So here are some of the things which we can do to conserve our environment:
- If you are painting your house, use latex paint, as oil-based paints release hydrocarbon fumes.
- Instead of using your personal vehicle, go for a bike or public transport. Vehicle traffic is a major contributor to noise pollution and also to smog.
- Try to use less fertilizer or use organic fertilizers instead because when it rains, fertilizers drain into streams along with rainwater.
- Don’t trash the streams instead do volunteering with other groups in cleaning them on a regular basis.
- While using washing machines, try to load it fully or adjust the water level according to the load. Washing machines use almost 40 gallons of water.
- Use a bucket for washing cars or other vehicles, instead of a hose. Because the water running from the hose while you are working wastes a lot of water.
- Set the sprinkler in the lawn instead of watering it as that will be helpful in saving water.
- Close the tap while brushing, washing or bathing when it is not in use. 5 gallons of water goes to drain every minute the water runs from the faucet.
- Try to conserve energy by switching off the lights, fans, and other electrical appliances when not in use. This will also help in reducing your bill to a much greater extent.
- If you have a mercury thermometer, replace it with the digital one. Mercury is a major pollutant and is non-degradable which moves up to the food chain and causes serious health issues.
- Thinking about taking a paper bag or plastic from a shop? Better yet, make your own canvas bag to the grocery shop and reuse it each time you go shopping.
These small things can go a long way in saving and protecting the environment.
Essay on Need and Importance of Environmental Protection (400 Words)
The environment is degrading which means the chances for the survival of living organisms on earth are decreasing. But there is still some stubborn mentality in some people that the environment is degrading naturally, so it will also recover or be back to normal naturally. This is a very wrong notion. If we don’t start protecting our environment now, then there is a huge possibility that we won’t be able to save our humanity in the future.
To consider this problem seriously, let’s think about the possibilities which will arise due to environmental degradation.
- Firstly, let’s imagine life without clean air. Polluted air contains dust particles and other harmful particles, which may be in solid or gaseous form. Haze, a combination of dust particles, smoke, and other harmful gases, will occur. This will obscure the vision which will lead to accidents of vehicles, and in worst cases, deaths.
- Due to the high level of CO2 and CFC, the ozone layer will go on depleting, or there will come a time when it might extinct. In this case, harmful UV rays will enter the earth’s atmosphere and can cause skin cancer and other harmful diseases.
- Carbon monoxide is also a very lethal pollutant. If it enters the human body, it mixes with hemoglobin and makes the circulation of oxygen through blood difficult, which will make us feel dizzy. If the amount of CO consumption through the air is more, then this might even lead to death.
- Due to the increase of acids in air and other harmful gases, the frequency of acid rain will increase. Acid rains are harmful to every living organism, from microbes to giant animals. It can cause many diseases as well as death. It can make the harmful elements enter the ecosystem through soil and water.
- Soil having water of acid rain will degrade in its quality. This type of soil won’t possess the required mineral content and water holding capacity which will lead to a decrease in the production of crops or their quality. If the production or quality of crops decreases, then this will directly affect the humans which will lack the energy to perform because of lack of nutrient supply. This can stop the progress of the whole civilization.
- If the acid rain or CO2 enters the water bodies in excess quantity, then it will affect marine life also which will eventually affect the whole ecosystem.
Even after understanding the need and importance of protecting the environment and saving the planet if we don't do our bit towards the same then it will be a big mistake on our part. We should take it as our responsibility to create awareness regarding this and do whatever we can to save the environment.
Essay on Importance of Protecting the Environment (500 Words)
Good Environment is a pre-requisite for the survival of life on Earth. There are visible signs that it is getting degraded. Still, there are no visible changes in our lifestyles to stop the condition from getting worse then what it is now. Things that are doing harm to the environment such as working in industries or factories, commuting via fuel-driven vehicles, using air conditioners, etc have become an essential part of our lives. The amount of energy that we are using is essential and there is no other alternative to it. Mentioned below is a reality check of how we are being the major contributors to environmental degradation despite being fully aware of the importance of protecting the environment:
- Over Population: Many parts of our planet are being overpopulated by the human population. Overpopulation means more demands and less supply. This creates an imbalance and disturbs the ecosystem as for human survival, the shelter of birds and animals are getting destroyed. This also increases the fossil fuel consumption and the harmful impacts of it on the environment.
- Pollution: Increased population leads to increased waste to make the supplies reach the required rate. The level of This waste leads to air and water pollution. The condition of pollution is so bad that to date, 2.4 billion people do not have access to clean, drinkable water. Humanity is constantly polluting the irreplaceable resources like air, water, and soil, which takes millions of years to replenish. Not only air, water and soil pollution, humanity is also responsible for noise, radiation, and light pollution.
- Global Warming: The major cause for this is the increased level of CO2, and that is because of the increased rate of burning of fossil fuels. Current measurements of CO2 levels have exceeded above 400 ppm breaking every record dating back 400,000 years. And this has lead to an increase in the earth’s temperature, which leads to the melting of glaciers and an increase in ocean level to rise.
- Non-Veg Diet: Human’s digestive tract is a long one like that of herbivores. But still, most of the human population relies on a non-vegetarian diet. To grow a hen of 1 kilo, many kilos of wheat are required, but 1 kilo of wheat can satisfy the hunger of 2 persons. Hence, this non-veg diet is really expensive for the environment.
- Deforestation: Deforestation is required for creating land space for making roads and homes for humans. This leads to the destruction of the habitat of wild animals and birds. It also leads to the constant increase in level of CO Since there are no trees to absorb this gas so it remains in the atmosphere leading to global warming.
- Excess Usage of Useless Commodities: For the sake of vanity, we use commodities such as leather shoes, belts, and jackets that are made from the skin of animals without thinking about the impact it has on the animals. Animals suffer because of this while we adorn such decorative items made from their nails and tusks.
So, we know how humans are the ones responsible for destroying the environment and killing humanity. It’s time to acknowledge and understand the importance of protecting our environment and work in that direction.
Essay on Pollution, Environment, and Environment Protection Act (600 Words)
The environment is the surrounding in which the living creatures live and interact. Everything that is needed by an organism to survive is provided by the environment. It includes physical, chemical and natural forces, which are required for the survival of the living beings. The environment has been serving mankind since the beginning of the time and continues to do so. But since the last few decades, nature is suffering at the hands of mankind, and payback for this has already begun. Recent researches have proved that if this imbalance caused is not made right the reckoning will come. This doom can only be avoided with staunch and effective measures taken for its revival as soon as possible.
Pollution and Environment
Our entire human existence is dependent on nature itself. We depend on nature for a tiny pin to the most complex man-made constructions. The environment has come to our aid in every way possible. Ayurveda, a practice of medicine since ancient India which is completely dependent on natural herbs, is facing crises due to the depletion of various species of plants. Species of various animals and plants have become extinct or on the verge of extinction due to unnecessary interruption in the ecosystem by humans.
The ozone layer which prevents ultraviolet rays from the sun to enter our atmosphere is getting depleted due to the increase in harmful gases causing pollution in the environment. Because of the increasing demands of the increasing human population, pollution is increasing. The man started polluting the environment since the first fire was produced. From then to now, man has been polluting the environment in the name of development. Due to the cumulative effect of ozone depletion and the greenhouse effect the temperature on earth is rising continuously resulting in global warming.
As a result of which glaciers at the poles are melting and contributing to the rise in the sea level, many major cities inhabited by humans are predicted to submerge in water in the next few decades. Post effects of this environmental degradation are beyond our imagination, the need of the hour is to preserve our environment in the best way possible, not only because it is our moral duty to do that, but because it’s our only way to survive from the harm.
Due to the exponential growth of the population along with industrialization, the quality of the environment is degrading. There is a crucial need for conservation and preservation of the environment.
Environment Protection Act, 1986
Environmental Protection Act is an act passed by the Parliament of India in 1986 in an attempt to protect and conserve the environment. This was enacted by the government after the Bhopal Gas Tragedy. It was a gas leak incident in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, in December 1984. It was considered as the world’s worst industrial disaster as the official immediate death toll was 2,259 and over 500,000 people were exposed to Methyl Isocyanate (MIC) gas. The purpose of establishing this act was to make people implement the decisions of the United Nations Conference on the Human Environment. It was for the protection and improvement of the environment and the prevention of environmental hazards.
Environment Protection acts have been put in place to stop people from damaging the environment in the race of becoming better than others. Individuals just think about themselves. These acts are a way to make them realize that we are standing on the verge of environmental degradation. However, all these efforts will go in vain until the individuals consider saving the environment as their very own responsibility. We all have to come together, individually, to save our planet by saving our environment.