Road Safety in today’s context is the most significant issue which relates to the safety of the public on road. Millions of lives are lost annually throughout the world due to road accidents, resulting in huge loss of finance and resources for individuals as well as for the nation. Every year governments throughout the world spend billions on the treatment and welfare of accident victims and their rescue if they are lucky enough to make it alive. There is an urgent need to make people more aware of road safety precautions and why they matter so much. Strict laws must also be implemented to enforce road safety norms.
Long and Short Essay on Road Safety
Essay 1 (250 words)
Road safety is the prevention and protection of road accidents by using all the road safety measures. It is to secure people while traveling on the roads. It is to make safe all the road users such as pedestrians, two-wheelers, four-wheelers, multi-wheelers, and other transport vehicle users. Practicing road safety measures is very good and safe for all people throughout their life. Everyone should respect others while driving or walking on the road and take care of their safety.
Importance of Road Safety
People’s safety on the road is one of the most important aspects in order to avoid road accidents, injuries, and deaths. We can judge the importance of road safety on the basis of national statistical data about total reported accidents and deaths. The data shows that almost 42% of cases involve pedestrians and one-way road users.
Methods of Road Safety
There are various methods of creating awareness among common public such as seminars, workshops, students’ education by adding basic road-safety lessons to the syllabus, make people aware of green cross code i.e. stop, look, listen, think and then cross, understanding of road signs, etc. Following road safety tips could help to protect all the road problems. Some effective measures of road safety are like basic awareness about the vehicle, defensive driving according to weather and road conditions, following traffic rules, wearing seat belts, avoiding over-speeding, awareness programs, etc.
Road safety is very important nowadays as there has been too much increased in vehicles on the road and it becomes crucial that we follow the traffic rules and laws and save ourselves and our families from road accidents. Also making other people aware of road safety rules could make our roads safe.
Essay 2 (300 words)
Road accidents have become very common due to vehicle collisions and ignorance of proper road safety measures. The number of deaths is increasing due to motor vehicle collisions by the people ignoring road safety rules. All the roads are busier for a full day where vehicles are running in their high-speed. People in the modern world are used to their personal transportation which increases traffic on the roads. Under these conditions, it is very important for everyone to be safe on roads and to follow all the traffic rules and regulations.
How to avoid road accidents
Everyone should undergo a complete driving course under the guidance of an authorized instructor before starting to drive on the roads. Road safety measures should be added in the school curriculum so that students can get complete knowledge of traffic regulation. Most of the road accidents occur because of incomplete knowledge about operating vehicles and lack of road safety measures.
The use of old vehicles on the road is also a cause of accidents, so it is very important to get the vehicles checked for fitness on a regular basis. Proper and timely service of vehicles also helps to reduce road accidents. All the drivers should thoroughly check their vehicles daily before the start of any trip and if any issue is found it has to be rectified immediately.
Traffic accidents are a major cause of deaths in India and it has affected a huge number of families. Hence it becomes very important that everyone should strictly follow the traffic rules and should always drive safely with respecting the other people and vehicles on the road. We should avoid rash driving, drunken driving, and jumping red lights. Wearing helmets and seat belts could highly reduce the number of causalities during an accident. A unison effort from each and everyone could definitely reduce the number of accidents and make our roads safer.
Essay 3 (600 words)
Road safety is must to be paid proper attention by each and every person on the earth, whether using vehicles or not. Children and students are the most vulnerable group towards road accidents, minor or major injuries and even death because of the lack of adult supervision. There should not be late in making children well aware of the road safety rules and measures at an early age. It should be the duty of parents and teachers to teach them properly under their nice supervision.
Need for Road Safety Knowledge for Children
According to the statistics, it is found that there are most of the road accident cases in which children are involved, so they are at high risk than other age group people. They need road safety knowledge and education from their early age. It should be started from their home and schools by adding this subject to their syllabus. Some points are mentioned below proving the fact that why road safety is so important for kids and children:
- Children are children, no one can be sure about what they will do next at home or another crowded place especially roads during traffic situations.
- Children become completely innocent, they cannot judge the vehicles speed moving on the road.
- Drivers also cannot recognize their mood to move on the road especially when they try to cross the road in front of the vehicle because of their small height.
- They cannot judge how often vehicles can come on the empty road.
- They can cross the road from anywhere on the road because they have no idea about the proper place to cross the road.
- They become fearful soon and do not understand what they should do when they see vehicles coming in their direction.
Road Safety Rules for Children
Following are some essential road safety rules play a great role in protecting children from road accidents by making them responsible pedestrian on the road:
- Parents should teach their children to be extra attentive and look everywhere (left and right) before crossing the road street.
- Children should always cross the roads by holding their hands with their elders or friends.
- They should never run on the roads, should not be in a hurry or leaving parents’ hands and be calm.
- They need to be more cautious on the road without getting distracted by anything.
- They should be practiced by their parents to follow sidewalks only or always use the left side on the roads where sidewalks are unavailable.
- They should be taught to only cross the roads at crossroads after seeing traffic signals for pedestrians.
- They must be aware of the meaning of colors (red means stop, green means go and yellow means also stop), traffic light basics and importance of traffic signs on the roads.
- They should use the rear side of the passenger seat while getting out of a car or bus.
- Children should be taught not to play on the roads or other places out of playing zone.
- They should wear a helmet and use all the measures while riding a bicycle on the roads by ensuring the proper functioning of brakes, horns, and steering.
- They should not use earphones or other music listening instruments while riding the bicycle on the road.
- Parents may teach their children in a better way by wearing seat-belts while driving a car or helmet while driving a bike anytime. Parents should follow all the road safety rules and road traffic rules while driving the vehicle to establish good examples in front of their children as they are the first example in the lives of their kids.
Road safety is very important for people of all age groups to be safe and secure as well as reduce the number of road accidents and injury cases. So, everyone should strictly follow all the rules, regulations and signs of road traffic lights. Children should be well practiced from the end of their parents at home and get proper study by the teacher in the school.