Road Safety Week
Road Safety Week
Road safety week is celebrated with the great joy and enthusiasm every year in India at many places such as Delhi, Bangalore, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Baroda, Vadodara, Pune, Bhubaneswar, Hyderabad, Chandigarh and etc. People are encouraged about how to drive on road by organizing variety of programmes related to the road safety.
During the whole week celebration of this campaign, variety of educational banners, safety posters, safety films, pocket guides and leaflets related to the road safety are distributed to the on road travelers. They get motivated about the road safety while trevelling on road means having planned, well-organized and professional way traveling. People who travel in unprofessional way are requested to use road safety measures and follow traffic rules by giving them roses.
Road Safety Week 2017
Road safety week 2017 will be celebrated in India from 11th of January (Wednesday) to the 17th of January (Tuesday).
How the Road Safety Week is Celebrated
Road safety week is celebrated by performing the following activities:
- Road safety leaflets including roses, chocolates and flowers are distributed to the travelers on the road.
- commuters are also explained about the methods and necessities of the road safety means they must understand the use of helmets or seat belts while driving on the road or anywhere.
- Various painting and drawing competitions, road safety announcements, exhibitions, road rules test, girls scooter rally to encourage the use of helmets, debates on road safety at the All India Radio, workshops, seminar and etc activities are organized.
- Free medical check up camps and driving training workshops are organized for the drivers to encourage them towards the road safety.
- Road safety quiz competitions are also organized to promote people about road safety.
- Traffic safety games including card games, puzzles, board games and etc are organized to educate school children about road safety.
Why Road Safety Week Campaign Celebration is Necessary
Celebrating the road safety campaign was initiated by the ISS India HSE (Health Safety and Environment) in order to make people aware about the national road safety in the Indian subcontinent. ISS India had declared to celebrate the Road Safety Week all through the country in the first week of the month of January. The aim of this campaign was to emphasize and accentuate people about the need of safe roads travel by applying just simple rules.
According to the information, it has been noted that approximately one lakh people are getting killed per year in the road accidents. Or some of them become sufferer of the life threatening problems such as mental trauma, loss of memory, loss of hand or legs and so many for the whole life. Such situations specially in India increases the importance and necessity of the road safety measures. India has a very huge population of the road travelers such as two wheelers, four wheelers on the road, that’s why they must know the road safety.
It also need efforts from different stakeholders such as the community, transport sector, insurance sector, health sector, police, legal sector, educational institutions, highway engineers, vehicle manufacturers, public agencies, NGOs and etc. Students are given a big opportunity to be participated in the road safety week programme as to change something, youths of the country must understand first.
Road Safety Week Themes
- The theme for road safety week 2015 was “Build a Safety Culture for Sustainable Supply Chain” and “Safety is not just a slogan, It’s a way of life”.
- The theme for road safety week 2014 was “Walk for Road Safety”.
- The theme for road safety week 2013 was “Stay Alive, don’t drink and drive” to increase awareness among people against the drunken driving.
- The theme for road safety week 2011 was “Road Safety A Mission, Not Intermission”.
Objectives of Celebrating Road Safety Week
- The aim of celebrating the campaign road safety week is to promote the road safety measures in the community, schools, colleges, work places, on roads and etc.
- To decrease and completely remove out the road accidents, road accident death and injury cases by applying the road safety measures.
- To encourage all the travelers to follow the traffic rules and wear helmets and seat belts while driving.
- To implement the new preventative measures which are proved to lessen the risk of road accidents, death or injury.
- To aware the people about the speed limit of the vehicles to prevent road accidents.
- To maintain the speed and required distance from other vehicles
- To aware people that do not drink, do not drive when tired and do not use phones or radios while driving.